I have always loved the ADORNit fabric and today I would like to share my Starburst Table Topper with you! In September I was chosen to be an ADORNit “it” girl! Exciting right? If you are wondering what that is let me explain………so I received some very cool scratch in the mail from ADORNit with a mission- to create some cool stuff with it and post on social media in order to show other quilters/sewists/crafters all of the awesome products that ADORNit makes! Well, let me tell you, I instantly fell in love with the Starburst Table Topper.
I used only ADORNit fabric from a couple of their fabric lines and I have to say that I love how they all work well together. I used the 120° triangle templates for the cutting. They were super easy to use and very accurate, they even have the little holes where you can mark for the seam allowance (I found that very helpful for matching seams).
So here it is, top completed but still in need of quilting, I will post again once it is quilted and bound. I do love the colours and I have to admit, it went together like a dream. The instructions in the booklet were very precise.
As you can see, I have some lines drawn on the centre…..possible quilting lines? Stay tuned for completed photos of my Starburst Table Topper!!!
I want to share a recent finish that I am very happy with and I think my client is too! She had given me a laundry basket full of shirts that belonged to her son along with full creative licence. I have to admit, that can be a little intimidating since I could have a completely different vision of the finished quilt than she does. I made sure to include the most sentimental shirts in the quilt and I think that’s the goal with memory quilts, it’s not so much about the pattern you choose or how you quilt it, but more about the memories that it holds for the receiver. I kept the piecing simple, deciding on the block size and adding black sashings and borders so that the T-shirts could tell their story.
For the backing she gave me a very loved Scooby Doo duvet cover, again giving me creative licence. Since I love modern pieced backing and I had some black solid fabric left, I decided to add a little “Scooby” for interest. I made strips with the Scooby Doo and placed them randomly in the backing, super fun!
I think the simple wave pattern is a great compliment to the piecing on the front. I am so glad that my client was as happy with the final result as I was!
I have to admit that I was not always a huge fan of foundation paper piecing but have come to love the result and even enjoy the process. I have been working, slowly but surely, on my Arcadia Avenue quilt by Sassafras Lane (http://sassafras-lane.com/). The first three months are completed and it has certainly taken me more than 3 months but I am thoroughly enjoying this quilt.
Part of the creative fun in this quilt has been fussy cutting from my fabric. I love the elephants dancing around the block for month 3. I have some sloth fabric that I am dying to fussy cut for another block!
For anyone interested in trying foundation paper piecing I would definitely recommend starching the fabrics before cutting. I did use a couple of different spray starches in addition to making my own starch but I found that the most effective one was the Niagara Spray Starch found here (http://www.niagarastarch.com/products.php). I roughly cut the pieces that I would need for each block beforehand and sprayed the starch outside. I will keep you posted as I progress through the remaining blocks but I can honestly say that it is a lot of fun working on this quilt!
My sister-in-law asked me about 8 months ago if I would make some memory pillows for her from her Grandmother’s clothes. Then she patiently waited…..and waited…..and waited. I am happy to report that they are finally completed and delivered. Nine memory pillows that will be cherished by her and her family members who receive them. I am so glad that I was able to take part in this project and hope that it brings them some comfort and good memories of their Grandmother, Mother and Wife!
I just finished this Science Fair Quilt, pattern by Jaybird Quilts. This is for my 9 year old and she chose all of the fabrics from my stash, the backing, and batting. I chose the quilt pattern and thread colour. I am very happy to report that she loves it and couldn’t wait to put it on her bed! I think it is the perfect quilt for a free spirit. Another finish in 2016! The photo isn’t great but anyone who knows me knows that photography isn’t my thing!
Here is my second completed project for 2016. I am certainly moving a lot slower than I had anticipated but at least things are getting finished and the WIPs are not adding up! This is my 3rd retreat bag I have made from Emmalinebags.com. I used Cotton and Steel for this one and have decided that I will make a few more and give them as teacher gifts at the end of the school year. Now on to project #3!
I have had this pattern from Emmaline Bags http://emmalinebags.com/ for quite a while and I recently decided that it had to be my first project of 2016! The first thing that I have to say is that I LOVE this wallet, it has plenty of storage and it closes fully, which my current wallet does not do, so excited! The pattern is very well written which makes sewing the wallet so easy, lots of descriptions and pictures included. I love how it turned out and I am sure I will be making another. I used an alternate flap tutorial that can be found here: http://emmalinebags.blogspot.ca/2013/11/how-to-install-tonguepress-lock-on-your.html. I really like how the flap turned out and my next wallet I may even add the tongue/press lock instead of the twist lock. The other thing that I would change for my next “ncw” would be to add rivets to the sides rather than sewing down them, it was rather bulky going through the machine. Overall, I am loving this new wallet and my first UFO for 2016! Happy New Year!